Improve REST configuration API
The configuration API has currently some limitations:
- you can only READ / WRITE complete configurations
- the configuration tree has been made by iteration, it would be great to refactor the configuration
We can imagine these improvements:
- possibility to slice the configuration in small piece, and to READ / WRITE only parts of it
- refactor the configuration tree. Portal section is too big. When you add one application, you have to configure many parts in the configuration tree: application menu,... We could arrange the new tree by application for example.
- Authentication - other general parameters - applications * application 1 -> type (header, SAML,...) -> rules -> headers -> menu -> authorized authentication methods -> authentication level -> maybe variable or macros? -> ...
We could build a new configuration API alongside, storing the object the same way the current API does. Then, build a new Manager using this new API. It would permit a soft transition between the old and new Manager.
Not sure this could fit in 2.1.0, but it would be nice to start working on this type of issue in the long run.