(Strategy Goal) Open source enabling digital transformation
“Digital Transformation is the adoption of digital technology to transform services or businesses, through replacing non-digital or manual processes with digital processes or replacing older digital technology with newer digital technology.” (Wikipedia)
Expected benefits of the digital transformation include :
• Simplify, automate core processes, make them real-time
• Enable fast responses to competitive changes
• Take advantage of Artificial intelligence and big data
In terms of competitiveness, the most visible processes are probably the processes that directly impact the customer experience. And we have to recognize that the GAFAs, by delivering totally unprecedented customer experience, drastically changed customer expectations.
Customer experience as well as all the other processes within a company entirely depend on the IT. Every company has to transform its IT, this is what the digital transformation is about. Companies that have not done it yet, have now to achieve their digital transformation as fast as possible, otherwise the risk is that they could be wiped out of the market. Digital Transformation is a condition for survival. Since the stakes are so high, a company cannot entirely leave the digital transformation to a supplier. Every company has to get hands on with its IT, which means that every company has to get hands on with Open source software because there is no IT without open source software.
Digital transformation could be managed by
- Segment of the IT : Production IT, Business Support IT (CRM, billing, procurement…), Support IT (HR, Finance, accounting...), Big data
- Type of technology or process supporting the IT: Infrastructure (cloud), Artificial Intelligence, Processes (Make-or-Buy, DevSecOps, SaaS) etc Injecting Open source in a particular segment or technology of your IT reveals that you want to get hands on in this segment or technology, because you assessed that this particular segment or technology of your IT is important for the competitiveness of your company. It is important to assess the position of your company compared not only with its competitors, but also with other industries, and in particular with the GAFAs because it is the GAFAs that are setting the pace in terms of customer experience and productivity.
Level 1 : Situation assessment I have identified
- The segments of the IT that are important for the competitiveness of my company,
- and the open source technologies required to develop applications is these segments.
And I have thus decided
- on which segments I want to manage in-house the development of projects
- and on which open source technologies I need to build in-house expertise.
Level 2 : Engagement On some of the selected open source technologies there are, within the company, several developers have been trained and are recognized as valuable contributors by the open source community. In some of the selected segments, projects based upon open source technologies have been launched.
Level 3 : Generalization For all projects, an open source alternative is systematically being investigated during the inception stage of the project. To make it easier for the project team to study such open source alternative, a central budget, and a central team of architects, hosted in the IT Department, is dedicated to providing assistance to the projects.
KPI 1 : (Number of projects / Total number of projects) ratio for which an open source alternative was investigated KPI 2 : (Number of projects / Total number of projects) ratio for which the open source alternative was chosen
Technologies, tools and products concerned by this activity.
List tools relevant or concerned by the activity here
Hints and best practices. Collected from GGI participants.
Add recommendations here
Links to resources in the Resource Center
Add links to resources here